Exam-1 Work Sheet
1. What is cell membrane made of? How does the composition (lipid, protein, cholesterol) of the membrane help with role that cell membrane plays?
2. What are organelles?
3. Can you identify organelles in the image below? Can you describe their functions?
1. The inner lining of lungs and gut that come in contact with oxygen and food are examples of a. Epithelial tissue
b. Connective tissue
c. Muscle tissue
d. Nerve tissue
2. Connective tissue is a solid tissue. Justify your answer
3. Name 2 diseases associated with malfunctioning of connective tissue. a.
4. Discuss type and functions of muscle tissue, compare and contrast different ways muscle gets energy.
5. What are different components of neuron and their function? Can you name a disease state which affects nerve tissue?
6. How does message travel within a neuron, how does it travel from one neuron to another?
7. In the figure above label synapse, where is neurotransmitter released?
8. Name a few neurotransmitters.
9. What is the difference between curare and botox?
Transport mechanism in the cells:
the kinds of transport
What does it use to help?
Needs no help?
Example of substances that use this kind of transport in cells DIFFUSION
2. Name one disease associated with saturated transporter.
3. Can you list two diseases that can be treated by manipulating transporters? a.
How cells communicate:
Organ of Origin
A 50 year old housewife complains of progressive weight gain of 20 pounds in 1 year, fatigue, slight memory loss, slow speech, dry skin, constipation, and cold intolerance. In terms of hormonal imbalalnce what do you think is wrong with her?
When a 42 year old man’s urine is analyzed, it is found that he as glucose in his urine. The glucose has appeared in the urine because __________________________. You would expect that in this patient __________ hormone is either absent or not functioning. You would expect his blood glucose to be _______.
Cell reproduction and cell death:
1. What is the difference between apoptosis and necrosis? Can you think of a disease that results from lack of apoptosis?
1. Discuss the differences and similarities among generic aspirin and Bayer® (Aspirin brand).
2. How do you define a drug?
1. Define the following terms
C. Clinical Pharmacology:
Routes of administration: Compare and contrast the onset of action among different routes, and at which site is the drug injected or administered. Route
Onset of action
Compared to oral
First Pass effect
A. After the Guy pops in a tablet for treating depression, the tablet disintegrates in the gut and then reaches the liver, which site does it go from here? Label the site where the drugs reaches as A, what is the process called?
B. Once the drug has reached site A which 2 sites would it go to next? Label them B and C, what is this process called?
C. What happens after B and C, does the drug remain there forever, or is there any organ that changes the drug chemically? Label that organ D and name the process.
D. Name two...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document