Module 3- Case Assignment
Dr. David Pritchard
June 13, 2015
Harley-Davidson has many opportunities for moving forward in a competitive environment. However, H-D faces many threats in the environment. The alliance between Harley and Lehman Trikes presented an opportunity for both organizations.
• Large India market for H-D is virtually untapped (only 6% of population have motorcycles) • Manufacture street bikes in India with low price range (aiming for young audience) • Considering entry into the 250-300cc bike segment
• Bikes predicted to reach more than 20 million in India by 2020 • In India, availability of loans to consumers is easy • Competition is at the peak and markets are getting saturated • New growth avenues in India’s regions
• High research and development that facilitates innovation and attracts industry attention • Continuous focus on new product development to support innovation (Globaldata, 2012) Threats
• Depends on a single supplier for some but not all raw materials (dependent on the supplier to deliver materials in time) • Rising input costs has a major impact on the operational costs • Increasing pressure on the costs of commodities leads to capacity constraints, lower production, and financial distress to raw material suppliers • Delay in receiving raw materials affects product delivery to customers, which impacts the business and customer relations • Manufactures motorcycles in the US, Canada, Europe, and Asia • Retail prices are higher than competitors
• Competitors have diversified businesses and compete in all segments of the bike market • Retail prices are higher than the competitors
• Competitive disadvantage if prices become a factor for customers in the heavyweight market • Financial procedures face rigid competition from various banks, insurance companies, and
financial institutions that have...
References: GlobalData, (2012). Harley-Davidson, Inc. – Financial and Strategic Analysis Review. Retrieved from:
http://callisto.ggsrv.com/imgsrv/Fetch?banner=4d609cd7&digest=27b6b6 d33026b58ef227e0025dda7d42&contentSet=SWOT&recordID=47405_G DAUT29887FSA
Looney, D. C., & Ryerson, A. (2011). LEHMAN TRIKES: A STORY WITHIN A STORY. Journal Of The International Academy For Case Studies, 17(8), 35-39.
Please join StudyMode to read the full document