Your project this week deals with confidentiality and scope of practice issues. You’ll also deal with correcting an error made in regards to patient care. You will be evaluated on each project on the accuracy of your responses, the completeness of your responses, your ability to think critically about each situation and your overall writing ability. Your responses to the questions below should be constructed in complete sentences using proper grammar, spelling and punctuation.
Your project should be submitted to the dropbox by the end of Unit 8.
Unit 8 Project Questions: Part I
1. Under HIPAA, are you legally allowed to view this patient’s medical information? Why or why not? Unless you are the physician of the patient, then no you are not allowed to view the patients information.
2. In this case, how would you be able to correct your error and provide the missing documents to the patient while still protecting patient confidentiality under HIPAA? In this certain case I would consult the doctor for the doctor to contact the patient. The patient can come back and pick up his/her documents or they can be given over the phone only to the patient.
3. Besides a HIPAA Patient Release of Information form, list 4 other items that are found in the medical record. Medication list, family history, patients medical history, and previous records of blood testing are also on the medical record along with the HIPAA Patient release form.
4. Legally, does the patient or the physician/healthcare facility own the medical record? Why? The physician/healthcare facility owns the medical records, but the patient is allowed to request their files at any time.
5. List 3 ways patient confidentiality is maintained in the reception/waiting area of a medical office. Confidentiality can be maintained in the waiting room by not having the records laying around so they can be seen, do not leave sign in sheet out with names on...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document