The Maternity Benefits Act, 1961
To Provide Healthy Maintenance Of Pregnant Women Employee and her child
* Every factory, mine or plantation (including those belonging to Government) and * To every shop or establishment wherein 10 or more persons are employed Purpose
* An Act to regulate the employment of women in certain establishments for certain periods before and after child-birth and to provide for maternity benefit and certain other benefits.
* wages" means all remuneration paid or payable in cash to a woman, if the terms of the contract of employment, * express or implied, were fulfilled and includes-such cash allowances (including dearness * allowance and house rent allowance) as a woman is for the time being entitled to; * (2) incentive bonus; and
* (3) the money value of the concessional * supply of foodgrains and other articles. but does not include--
* (i) any bonus other than incentive bonus; * (ii) over-time earnings and any deduction or * payment made on account of fines; * (iii) any contribution paid or payable by the * employer to any pension fund or provident fund or * for the benefit of the woman under any law for the * time being in force; and
* (iv) any gratuity payable on the termination * of service;
* "woman" means a woman employed, whether directly or * through any agency, for wages in any establishment.
CONDITIONS FOR CLAIMING BENEFITS
* Must actually work for 80 days in 12 months immediately preceding her date of Delivery. * Should intimate the employer Seven Weeks before her...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document