Arguments in Favour of Abortion
1. Abortion is a safe medical procedure. The vast majority of women - 88% - who have an abortion do so in their first trimester. Medical abortions have less than 0.5% risk of serious complications and do not affect a woman's health or future ability to become pregnant or give birth.
2. A lot of people think abortion “tinkers with the natural order”, but our daily medicines, which we could not have survived without, affect our body in unnatural ways too.
3. In the case of rape or incest, forcing a woman made pregnant by this violent act would cause further psychological harm to the victim. Often a woman is too afraid to speak up or is unaware she is pregnant, thus the morning after pill is ineffective in these situations.
4. The ability of a woman to have control of her body is critical to civil rights. Women have a moral right to decide what to do with their bodies. We should regard the woman as a person and not just as a container for the foetus, therefore give great consideration to her rights and needs as well as those of the unborn.
5. Teenagers who become mothers have grim prospects for the future. They are much more likely to leave of school; receive inadequate prenatal care; rely on public assistance to raise a child; develop health problems; or end up divorced. A woman’s freedom and life choices are limited by bearing children, and the stereotypes, social customs, and oppressive duties that went with it.
6. Like any other difficult situation, abortion creates stress. Yet the American Psychological Association found that stress was greatest prior to an abortion, and that there was no evidence of post-abortion syndrome.
7. The right to abortion is vital for equality, as a renowned philosopher Judith Jarvis Thomson wrote “If abortion rights are denied, then a constraint is imposed on women's freedom to act in a way that is of great importance to them, both for its own sake and for the sake of their...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document