Reviewing the Basics
1. List four ways to start Task Manager.
• Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete
• Right-click a blank area on the taskbar, and then select Task Manager on the shortcut menu. • Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc.
• Enter taskmgr.exe in the Vista Start Search box or the XP Run dialog box and press Enter. 2. If a program is not responding, how can you stop it?
In Task Manager, select the process and click the End Task button. 3. If a program is using too much of system resources and bogging down other applications, what can you do to fix the problem? Use Task Manager to lower the priority level of the program. 4. How can you get a list of users currently logged onto the computer? Use the Users tab on the Task Manager window
5. What is the program filename and extension of the System Configuration utility? Msconfig.exe
6. What tool in Windows Vista, used to temporarily disable a startup program, is not available in Windows XP? Software Explorer
7. If a non-essential service is slowing down startup, how can you permanently disable it? Use the Services console and set the startup type to Disabled. 8. What should be the startup type of a service that should not load at startup but might be used later after startup? What tool can you use to set the startup type of a service? Manual, Service console
9. List three snap-ins that can be found in both the Windows Vista and Windows XP Computer Management windows that are used to manage hardware and track problems with hardware. Event Viewer, Device Manager, and Disk Management
10. What is the file extension of a console that is managed by Microsoft Management Console? .msc
11. What is the program filename and extensions of the Microsoft Management Console? mmc.exe
12. Which log in Event Viewer would you use to find out about attempted logins to a computer? Security log
13. Which log in Event Viewer would you use if you suspect a problem with the hard drive? System log
14. What is the program filename and extension of the Reliability and Performance Monitor? Perfmon.msc
15. What is the path to the Ntuser.dat file in Windows Vista? C:\Users\username\Ntuser.dat
16. How is the Ntuser.dat file used?
Holds the preferences and settings of a user
17. Which registry key contains information that Device Manager uses to display information about hardware? HKLM\HARDWARE
18. What tool in Windows XP do you use to back up the system state? Ntbackup
19. What is the Vista tool that can give you a quick report of the overall performance of the system? Windows Experience Index
20. To improve Windows performance, you decide to disable the indexer used for Windows search. Will Windows search still work? Yes
21. What three indicators in Task Manager can be used to find which program has a memory leak? Memory - Private Working Set, Handles, and Threads
22. Why is it best to not disable the UAC box?
To protect your system against users making unauthorized changes and against malware installing itself without your knowledge 23. What key do you press at startup to load the system in Safe Mode? F8
24. If performance improves when Windows is loaded in Safe Mode, what can you conclude? The problem is caused by non-essential startup services or programs 25. If performance does not improve when Windows is loaded in Safe Mode, what can you conclude? The problem is caused by a hardware device, a critical driver, or a Windows component. 26. When using MSconfig to stop startup services including Microsoft services, which service should you not stop so that restore points will not be lost? Volume Shadow Copy
27. What is the purpose of the Windows Installer service?
Install and uninstall a program
28. In what folder does Task Scheduler keep scheduled task?
29. In what folder is most installed software likely to be found? C:\Program Files
30. What is the name of the Control Panel applet used to uninstall software in Vista? Programs and Features applet
Please join StudyMode to read the full document